Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I saw a kangaroo in the outback today! :)

I finally saw a bunch of kangagroos today! Next step is just making friends with one of them :)

So today we packed up on our bus and headed out to the outback to have our first day out shooting. They gave the class two rolls of 35mm film to shoot, but I have have 4x5 and only shot a few slides.

We took our bus everywhere and the view from the bus was perfect, we were all kangaroo hunting and the entire bus would turn into small children when we'd spot one! We even saw a emu, which was huge! OH, and at one point a kangaroo was hopping along right next to us! He was only about 10 feet away and on my side, I'm sure you can imagine my smile. We visited Hattah-Kulkyne and Murray-Sunset Nation Park today. Our bus stopped every so often and we'd hop out and go shoot for an hour before we moved onto the next place.

To my art friends, believe it or not but I found death in the outback! (to everyone else this probably sounds bad) but I found some decomposing bodies and a lot of bones in a dried up waterway and it should make for a good portfolio that will go with some of my other work. I used my digital camera for this, and Pedro I used my new lens too! :)

Our day was cut short by the rain. We had to quickly get out of the national park as soon as it started to rain because the road have a lot of clay in them and once they get wet they become impassable. We got out no problem and it was back to the backpackers.

I realized a few things today, first is how much art school and my particular course work has made me into the artist I am. Its difficult to be in a basic class where the goals are different, and I can see how much conceptual focus I have after a few years of study. It will be interesting to see what I end up shooting and exhibiting in the show. The other thing is my independance. I always knew I was pretty independant but I think this course is proving that. It can be difficult for me to not have any control over my daily schedule and be around people all the time. It's quite a change and there are particular things I miss about being in control of everything I do and how I manage my time and studies (especially my photography).

Overall I'm having a great time and I hope my thoughts aren't too scattered. I had to rewrite this blog because the wifi dropped, but at least I could update you with my studies and travel! We have two days of class/lecture/darkroom then its off on our 6 day backpacking trip. The trip seems promising, especially because Peter (aka Petaaaaa) will be with us. This aboriginal man is such a character and I can't wait to share photos of him!

Tiff, I can't wait until you're here. I keep talking to locals and trying to find things we must do in every town. I talked to a kind lady today who was from Adelaide and she suggested a few things, don't worry I've been writing them down so you don't have to worry about me forgetting things! ;)

Alright love from your little Aussie!
XOXO Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment