Tuesday, July 27, 2010

3 days until show time!


Hey everyone! I've been working hard in the lab since we got back into Mildura. There has been a lot of digital work and I also spent hours and hours of time developing 4x5 film over in the darkroom. Exciting news: 22 slides out of 22 = perfect! I was so excited and proud that I had so much success when at times I had to set up and shoot pretty quickly.

The day after the field trip was only a half day and we were all able to go to the local pub and have a great time.... yes, all 20 americans. It's pretty funny, everyone knows who we are around here. Last night a few of us went out for ice cream and we talked to the parlor and he had met all the groups and knew all about our exhibit this Friday night. Oh America :)

Thursday was our free day, which was so nice! I spent some time running along the river and hanging out with my friends. Friday-Monday was back to it. I ended up scanning my 4x5 film and thats what I'll be showing in our exhibit. If you'd like to see the venue, we're showing at The Art Vault (theartvault.com.au).

During this process, I didn't get much attention (one on one) but once I was done scanning Darren, one of our professors, sat down and looked at my work. He was really impressed to say the least, which lead into conversations about my current work and latest portfolios. Interested in my work, the next night I sat down with Darren and showed him some of my work that I luckily had on my external and got some wonderful feedback and a few names to get in touch with. He then showed me his work and I really respect him as an aritst and a teacher. He showed me some work that I'd like to work up to; a lot of installation and creating cameras.

The following night, he sat down with me for a few hours and helped me map out some plans for Tiffany and I to do after the program. Some REALLY exciting news, currently on display at Sydney's Art Gallery of NSW is an Alfred Stieglitz exhibit! Beyond that, I noted some great hikes, lake tours with crocs, camra museums and much more! All very exciting.

Yesterday was perfect! We went to Mungo National Park. (http://www.pleasetakemeto.com/australia/mungo-national-park/information) It's such a beautiful place and very sacred to the aboriginal people. It's where Mungo man and Mungo women were discovered. Based off their cremation and burial site, it's believed it shows tradition and culture that dates back 40,000 years. I just packed my 4x5 and my point and shoot camera's which was a nice break for my back!

Another one of our girls here had a birthday so it's back to O'Mally's tonight for karaoke. Then more work thursday and Friday is the show. 4am sat morning we'll be back on a bus headed to Mildura to watch some footie and celebrate our class. Sunday morning Tiffany flies in.... adventures round dos!!!

Keep in touch,
XOXO Kayla

1 comment:

  1. Very excited and proud of you!!! Have a great time with Tiff.
    Steph.

    ReplyDelete