Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ευχαριστούμε



What do you think of my backyard here in Cyprus? hehe. This is Larnaca beach, closest beach on the Greek side. The water is warm, shallow forever and napping on the beach is heaven. It takes about 45mins in a car/bus to get to the beach. We figured out a bus that leaves city center and drives to Larnaca for 5 euro round trip, plus the bus to the city... so for 7 euro its a day at the beach for me!

Yesterday 9 of us went to the beach for the day and it was so relaxing and beautiful. You can walk at least 150 yards into the water before the water is up to your chest and once you're in it's so warm you could just stay forever. We also found a great lunch spot thats really good and cheap. I got a meze pita, they put everything in a pita (including fish and chips believe it or not haha). My pita had everything they serve when you order meze, basically 7 different meats, hallumi cheese, cucumber, sauce, etc etc. Pretty yummy :)

Last night was a big night out that they do every year. Everyone buys tickets and with that they bus all the GLS (my program) kids and all the other international study abroad students to a popular club in town. So I hung out with people from all over Europe and it was such a good time! Made friends with a girl thats in my yoga and pilates class from Finland which was exciting, although she's really hard to understand!

Anyways, I must be getting better at fitting in around here. I'll say hello at a store or out and about and people will go on and on replying in Greek and thats when it goes down hill. Still pretty exciting to know, well I can't say that I don't look like an outsider because my blue eyes = she's not from here!!! but it's a start. "Ευχαριστούμε" for example means hello!

So I have a task for everyone who reads this, especially mom & grandma. I need some new food/meal options cooking with minimal ingredients and on a budget. Staples always in my kitchen = cheese, ham, eggs, rice, pasta, garlic salt, olive oil, balsamic vinegar & fresh fruit. I did make tacos 2 nights ago which were amazing, not that Greek influenced tacos are delicious but rather it was close enough! I'm also eating from the butcher now too, its a little weird as some animal is staring at me as I order but I do it... not to mention the smell and the guts hanging. Anyways, email me or somehow contact me!

Hope all is well in the states! I'll be thinking about you all as I sit on the beach tomorrow hehe. I've heard the west coast is actually having good weather though so thats exciting.

XOXO
Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment