Friday, September 10, 2010

Autobahn, Castles & Ausfarht... all things Germany!

So I flew into Frankfurt Germany to visit Kristen and meet her husband and they showed me around in Germany.

The autobahn... is incredible, overwhelming, terrifying, wild, breathtaking. All highways there are autobahns with parts of the roadway having speed limits and other parts it’s a free for all. Ben (Kristen’s husband) has a big truck and let me tell you, Germany is not made for big cars or trucks! Haha the streets and lanes are so tiny. In fact, we rented a car to drive to Koln my last day there. The car was super fast; I think we went over 230 kph, about 150 mph!

Castles! Kristen lives on post just outside of Heidelberg and the actual city of Heidelberg is so adorable and “so Germany”… tiny cobblestone streets filled with people with an occasional Volkswagen trying to squeeze through, huge castle on the hillside, and much more. Heidelberg was by far my favorite place. I will for sure post pictures from here because words don't do justice. We also drove to another castle about 10 minutes away and it wasn’t the like the other one built into the hillside, but rather a free standing huge castle with gardens. There was a car show there that day and we got to see all sorts of cars. Everything from tiny little cars that didn’t even have room for doors (the front just opened up) to the most expensive cars I’ve ever seen in my life and they were all on display in the gardens. Just beautiful !

Ausfarht…. A German word that I found funny for obvious reasons (if you know me at all). I totally thought it was a place until I kept seeing that sign over and over… it means exit haha. But I enjoyed having the experience of being somewhere that spoke a different language. I learned my pleases and thank yous very quickly and learned how to say, do you speak English, please. It was funny, out at a bar air force guys came up to us and said in German, do you speak English? We look at them all funny and say yesss? Nice guys and I had a great night out with Kristen and her two girlfriends that are also married to guys in the army.

Oh and the foods I ate out there, I had Turkish, Greek and German food! Turkish was so delicious! I had some sandwich type thing with the meat I always see turning on a huge rod… wow I need to learn more about this, but hopefully you can picture it. Then I had Greek with Kristen and Ben’s friend from the army and his local girlfriend and she was so kind. I had meat again there and it was fairly good. Then my German food was nasty! Had a German schnitzel… let me tell you, it’s nothing like the Australian schnitzel! I didn’t even eat it all haha it was pretty nasty, like a breaded piece of pork. Regardless, I’m glad I tried different things and I was never starving!

Overall, I am SO happy I got to see Germany and visit Kristen! Then Kristen and I hopped on a plane to London together….. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment