Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Oh, yoga


My yoga class is something else... last week I thought my teacher wanted to kill me because I missed the midterm and then I was late to class (little did I know, due to my art history teacher letting me out late). It was horrible and she was telling me about this paper I had to get signed by a bunch of people a pay 40 euro (60 USD) to makeup my midterm (um, no.)

So today I come to class and my teacher is speaking Greek to the other girl and then says to me, oh did I tell you? I talked to many other people and it's okay, your marks are one of the best in the class. Do not worry about midterm, I do want you to read, read a lot because you are good. Don't do it for me, do it for you.... I want you to learn much and then still practice when you go home (US)... and on and on she went. Then as if that wasn't compliment enough, she proceeded to invite me to attend her other classes that she teaches at some center that are much more in depth than my school class. I guess she is bringing me the schedule next week, pretty awesome in a weird way if you ask me!

So as if all of that is not enough, during class today when I am trying to stand on one leg and keep my hands straight up above me and balance she decides to tell me, "nice trousers" and asks if I got them in Cyprus, I lied and said yes in fear of saying I got them in Turkey, didn't need another reason for my Greek Cypriot teacher to frown on me. So then she decided to ask me where they were from, uuuuuh, downtown, and then the store name, aye aye aye, "I'm not sure", ok you let me know when you find out, I want some.

It's such a weird relationship with this teacher, probably mostly because of the language and culture barrier but hey, I guess she still thinks I can do yoga pretty well. Today there were only 5 people in class and my friend from Finland wasn't there so that means 90% Greek & only 10% English.... pretty awkward when they're going off in Greek and then point to me and keep chatting away. Oh well, I've learned to accept that, I am in Cyprus but yet again I am in a English university. Oh well, I love yoga :)

No comments:

Post a Comment